What you will learn
This program is designed for individuals who wish to obtain employment in the Information Technology Industry as Mobile Applications Programmer, Computer Programmer, and Network Administrator.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Design, install and manage local area networks
- Develop and design computer programs in various programming languages
- Develop and design interactive web pages with multimedia components
- Design and develop interactive mobile application for mobile devices
- Install and configure computer hardware and software
- Perform systems analysis and design
- Program apps for mobile devices
- Provide end-user technical support services
- Troubleshoot and repair hardware problems
What to expect
This program is delivered face-to-face and in blended learning modes. Instructional strategies include classroom lectures, demonstrations, group discussions, computer lab and hands-on practical work.
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- English 12 with a minimum 'C' grade, or English Language Proficiency at a minimum Grade 12 'C' level, or equivalent
- Knowledge of mathematics demonstrated by one of the following:
- Pre-calculus 12 or Principle of Math 12 with a minimum grade of 'C' (60%)
- A minimum grade of 'C+' (67%) in one of the following:
- Pre-calculus grade 11
- Foundations of Mathematics grade 12
- Foundations of Mathematics grade 11
- Principles of Mathematics 11
- Applications of Mathematics 11
- Applications of Mathematics 12
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants who self-identify as Indigenous are strongly encouraged to connect with VCC’s Indigenous Education and Community Engagement team to learn more about VCC’s Indigenous Enrolment policy, application preparation/completion, program advising, and a range of other individualized services.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently with confidence
- Customer service-oriented outlook and ability to work well with a wide variety of people
- Ability to give and receive feedback
- Motivation, curiosity, and research-orientation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude
- Initiative, self-starter work habits
- Flexibility, adaptability
This program must be completed within 5 years.
Students must complete all of the following courses:
|CSTP?1101||Communication and Workplace Behaviour||3|
|CSTP?1103||Data and Document Management Fundamentals||3|
|CSTP?1104||Computer Systems Administration||5|
|CSTP?1105||Introduction to Programming||4|
|CSTP?1201||Introduction to Database Management Systems (DBMS)||4|
|CSTP?1202||Introduction to Data Communication and Networking||3|
|CSTP?1203||Introduction to Server Administration||2|
|CSTP?1204||Software Analysis and Design||3|
|CSTP?1205||Programming in C++||4|
|CSTP?1206||Introduction to Internet Programming & Web Applications||3|
|CSTP?1301||IT Project Management||2|
|CSTP?1303||Introduction to Client-Server Computing||3|
|CSTP?1304||User Interface Design||2|
|CSTP?1305||Algorithm Analysis and Data Structure||3|
|CSTP?2101||Database Management and Storage||3|
|CSTP?2102||Enterprise Systems Support||3|
|CSTP?2104||Windows Interactive Application Programming||3|
|CSTP?2106||Introduction to Computer Security||3|
|CSTP?2107||Advanced Internet Programming & Web Applications||4|
|CSTP?2108||Mathematics for Programmers||2|
|CSTP?2201||Linux Operating System and Networking||3|
|CSTP?2202||Network Server Administration||3|
|CSTP?2204||IT Development Project||5|
|CSTP?2205||Android Mobile Application Programming||3|
|CSTP?2208||Career Path Search||1|
|CSTP?2302||Advanced Server Administration||3|
|CSTP?2303||Computer System Security Threats and Solutions||3|
|CSTP?2305||iOS Mobile Application Programming||3|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
8540 - Year 1
6988 - Year 2
0 - Year 3
0 - Year 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||550|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.