What you will learn
- Professional communication
- Health care terminology
- Safety in a health care environment
- Professionalism and ethics
- Problem solving, critical thinking, decision making
- Information literacy and medical transcription
- Quality management in a health care environment
- Patient records management and medical billing
- Physician assistance and clinical procedures
- Chronic disease management protocols
- Medical and business computer applications
- Word processing and data management
- Keyboarding skills
What to expect
- Two terms of integrated training
- Lectures, seminars, and demonstrations
- Group work and student presentations
- Case simulations, exercises, and role practice
- Computer lab work
- Written exams
- Journal writing
- Three-week practicum experience
Grade 12 graduation, or equivalent
English 12 with a C+ grade, or?English language proficiency, or equivalent
- A tested keyboarding speed of a minimum of 25 gross words per minute on a 5-minute test with a maximum of 5 errors using the touch-typing method (using the appropriate fingers for each key on the keyboard and not looking at your fingers as you type).
Some practicum hosts will require their practicum students to have the following (and it is strongly recommended that all students have the following, for their own protection and the protection of patients):
- Negative TB skin test, or if the skin test is positive, then proof of a negative TB chest X-ray
- An immunization record showing current vaccinations for diphtheria/tetanus, polio, measles/mumps/rubella, hepatitis B, chicken pox, and pertussis
- An immunization record showing a current influenza vaccination
- A properly fitted respiratory mask with a N95 rating, with a valid certificate not more than one year old
- Criminal record check
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants who self-identify as Indigenous are strongly encouraged to connect with VCC’s Indigenous Education and Community Engagement team to learn more about VCC’s Indigenous Enrolment policy, application preparation/completion, program advising, and a range of other individualized services.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- Ability to deal with clients, colleagues, and staff in a tactful and courteous manner
- Personal hygiene, grooming, and appearance acceptable to a medical environment
- High standard of honesty, integrity, and professionalism
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Good hearing and vision in order to be able to interpret medical dictation
- Attention to detail, accuracy, patience, and ability to work well under pressure
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Ability to organize, problem-solve, and set priorities
- Good human relation skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Basic computer literacy
Program general hours
Monday to Thursday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. with the exception of practicum experiences.
|MEDC?1102||Medical Adm Procedures||2|
|MEDC?1135||Medical Terminology for MOA 1||2.5|
|MEDC?1121||Medical Speed & Accuracy 1||2|
|MEDC?1136||Medical Terminology for MOA 2||2.5|
|MEDC?1132||Human Relation Skills||1|
|MEDC?1236||Med Speed & Accuracy for MOA 2||2|
|MEDC?1201||Medical Transcription for MOA||2|
This guide is intended as a general guideline only. The college reserves the right to make changes as appropriate.
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
† 2018 Job Bank wage data