This program is currently under review and is not open to applications. Please watch here for updates.
What you will learn
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Develop level-appropriate lesson plans that address a specific learning objective
- Deliver student-centred language lessons using current methods and approaches, appropriate tools and resources, and in consideration of effective classroom management and student engagement strategies
- Identify differences in English language proficiency levels using an established framework (e.g. the Canadian Language Benchmarks)
- Differentiate between various assessment approaches in English language learning
- Employ critical reflection strategies to improve and hone their practice
- Act in an ethical and professional manner when working in an EAL teaching and working environment
- Explain foundational theories in language learning and instruction
- Articulate the importance of intercultural communication in the EAL classroom
What to expect
This intensive program has been designed to involve the student in a variety of learning environments and instructional delivery methods. Courses may be offered face-to-face, online, or blended format. Students will participate in lectures, demonstrations, group work, practice teaching sessions and lesson presentations. There is a supervised practicum.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited university
- Applicants with degrees from accredited universities in countries in which English is not an official language will be required to provide evidence of English language proficiency through one of the following:
- IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum overall score of 7, with no band lower than 7, or
- TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Test) overall 101 with a minimum of 23 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 in Speaking, and 27 in Writing
- This program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. See program options for international students at VCC International.
- Applicants who self-identify as Indigenous are strongly encouraged to connect with VCC’s Indigenous Education and Community Engagement team to learn more about VCC’s Indigenous Enrolment policy, application preparation/completion, program advising, and a range of other individualized services.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age or older or a graduate of a secondary school. (Some exceptions may apply.)
- Applicants must submit official transcripts and educational documents as required by their course or program.
- An interest in the English language and approaches to teaching
- An understanding of cross-cultural values and beliefs
- Experience in working or volunteering with people of other cultures
- Experience in learning a second language or volunteering in an ESOL class
- Warmth, empathy and patience for those learning a new language and culture
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
This program must be completed within a year.
|TESO?1246||Foundations of TESOL in Adult Learning Environments 1||2.5|
|TESO?1247||Teaching Grammar and Vocabulary in EAL Contexts 1||1.5|
|TESO?1248||Teaching Reading and Writing in EAL Contexts||1.5|
|TESO?1249||Teaching Listening, Speaking & Pronunciation in EAL Contexts||1.5|
|TESO?1251||TESOL Practicum 1||1|
* This information is intended as a guideline only. Program and course details are subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors.
Fees and other costs*
|Fee description||Fee Amount||Notes|
0 - 1
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 4
|Materials||0||not including textbooks|
|Medical & Dental||0|
|Program-specific extra fees||0|
* Fees are approximate and subject to change with the approval of VCC's Board of Governors. Students are required to pay any applicable fee increases. Application and assessment fees are non-refundable. Tuition fees include a $300 non-refundable deposit.
Fees listed are for domestic students. For international programs, visit VCC International.
Any refunds are issued according to VCC's refund policy.
Undergoing program renewal process.